Some articles on meta-analysis (June 10, 2005)
I found a couple of interesting articles on meta-analysis that are difficult to classify:
- Interpreting epidemiological evidence: how meta-analysis and causal inference methods are
related. Weed DL. Int J Epidemiol 2000: 29(3); 387-90.
[Abstract] [Full text]
- Systematic reviews: a cross-sectional study of location and citation counts. Montori
VM, Wilczynski NL, Morgan D, Haynes RB. BMC Med 2003: 1(1); 2.
The first relates how meta-analysis supports some, but not all of Hill's criteria for
causation. The second compared systematic reviews with narrative reviews. Systematic reviews
were cited more often (26 times on average versus 8) and included twice as many citations.
[Update August 23, 2005] Here are some articles that I had used as teaching
examples. I have switched to using open source journals because it is easier to incorporate
large sections of text into my web pages and book with open source publications. These are
still interesting examples, however, and they have full free text on the web.
- Collaborative Meta-Analysis of Randomised Trials of Antiplatelet Therapy for Prevention
of Death, Myocardial Infarction, and Stroke in High Risk Patients. Antithrombotic
Trialists' Collaboration. BMJ 2002: 324(7329); 71-86.
- Efficacy, Tolerability, and Upper Gastrointestinal Safety of Celecoxib for Treatment of
Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis: Systematic Review of Randomised Controlled Trials.
Jonathan J Deeks, Lesley A Smith, Matthew D Bradley. BMJ 2002: 325(7365); 619-.
- Effect of Iron Supplementation on Incidence of Infectious Illness in Children: Systematic
Review. Tarun Gera, H P S Sachdev. BMJ 2002: 325(7373); 1142-.
- House Dust Mite Control Measures in the Management of Asthma: Meta-Analysis. Peter C
Gotzsche, Cecilia Hammarquist, Michael Burr. BMJ 1998: 317(7166); 1105-1110.
- Systematic Review of Long Term Effects of Advice to Reduce Dietary Salt in Adults.
Lee Hooper, Christopher Bartlett, George Davey Smith, Shah Ebrahim. BMJ 2002: 325(7365);
- Systematic Review of the Effectiveness of Stage Based Interventions to Promote Smoking
Cessation. Robert Paul Riemsma, Jill Pattenden, Christopher Bridle, Amanda J Sowden,
Lisa Mather, Ian S Watt, Anne Walker. BMJ 2003: 326(7400); 1175-1177.
This page was written by
Steve Simon while working at Children's Mercy Hospital. Although I do not hold the copyright for this material, I am reproducing it here as a service, as it is no longer available on the Children's Mercy Hospital website. Need more
information? I have a page with general help
resources. You can also browse for pages similar to this one at Category: Systematic overviews.